Everyday, ourselves are always associated with different sets of emotions. It is part of being human. In fact, it is what makes us human. We laugh when we are happy, we cry when we are sad and disappointed, and we let out our rage when we are furious and mad. And, that is natural. Everyday, we put across different kinds of emotions more than we could envision. Typically, situations that we encounter trigger these emotions. And the body, as emotional feelings are natural to it, is able to cope with these expressions of emotions through a cycle. As psychologists would say, a person does not feel the same emotion over a very long period of time. What we feel eventually changes. To be specific, the longest time you could feel happy is ten days. After that, the feeling of happiness sinks, probably shifting to anxiety or sadness.
However, sometimes, there are people who are not able to adjust to certain events in their lives and are unable to control their emotions and deal with what they are feeling. An emotional problem is not just a simple problem. One is not able to function well due to the disruption of its emotions. Usually, people would utilize defense mechanisms as to cover up their emotional problems. However, this would in turn cause some trouble in their daily lives. And, moreover, it could affect the people around them. Moreover, emotional problems could be caused by alcoholism or any addiction problems. When one is addicted, the person does not only become physically attached to the object of addiction, but also he or she becomes emotionally attached to the object of addiction.
Just like Alcoholics Anonymous, Emotions Anonymous is a twelve-step organization. It provides to people whose emotions are causing difficulties in their lives. Emotions such as depression, anxiety, fear, loneliness, anger, compulsion, and obsessions are the most common in which the members had to deal with. Emotions Anonymous was started on July 6, 1971. Emotions Anonymous meetings are self-supporting by voluntary contributions of its members. Emotions Anonymous is not tied up with any sect, denomination, politics, organization, or institution, nor does it endorse or oppose any causes. The main objective of Emotions Anonymous is to show its members how to stay well emotionally and how to help others to become emotionally well.
Here is the 12-step program used by Emotional Anonymous:
1. We admitted we were powerless over our emotions — that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
With emotions anonymous, people in all walks of life are able to seek aid from others and may find relief and direction from those who have been there and had done that, or even share compassion with people are experiencing the same thing. Indeed, social support is very important and could be a cure to emotional illness.