A person in the pits of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder will sooner or later want to recover. What would you do if this person is someone close to you? What more if you are this person?
Nowadays, there are many treatment centers readily available to help anyone recover from different kinds of disorder. Usually, this management centers would require you to commit yourself in an institution where you can be observed by your attending physician. You collect no participation from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
One of the very problems admission to an institution is how would one get back on his or her normal routine. Intensive Outpatient Program now comes to the rescue.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? This is a type of program being used highly as a treatment service. People experiencing substance abuse problems who wants recovery are given this kind of treatment service. This kind of clinical service has been developed in the early 1900s as a way of a reaction to the famously managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a stronger level of treatment against to the level of treatment that was typically accessible for outpatients.
How does IOP works? Most of the time, patients are being grouped together with one clinician leading the group. Regularly, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, patients and the physician work hand in hand to achieve successful treatment. The patient is being inquired regarding her goals and objectives which will be integrated by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand creates feeling of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The perception of being in control creates a positive outlook according to numerous studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
What are the advantages does IOP brings? Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their usuall routine, it also augments management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also looks into the relationship between the patient and the family. The way of treatment in this program is what makes it more special. It looks into the unique need of the individual. One can always find an IOP program that is suitable for his or her special needs.
An IOP program can contain as many ingredients as possible. On the other hand, well-known programs can always consist of the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. In this program, a counselor is being allotted to an individual that would cater for his or her recovery.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this kind of IOP program, the family will be knowledgeable about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the process, creates a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. This type of program creates hope, consideration and the perceptive that they are not alone in this battle.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family will be given various workshops and knowledge concerning whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very popular program known for its use of the 12 steps.
In most cases of chemical dependency, IOP is believed to be more helpful than individual therapies according to numerous specialists. Although on an remarkable note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. However, the thing that really matters is that for the individual to recover. After all, in this type of difficulty, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program serves as a form of control to help patients stay away from their previous substance abuse problem.